Thursday, July 27, 2017

Mark S. Doss, Bass-Baritone: I am writing you from the Dorset Opera Festival in the United Kingdom where, on July 26th, we will open Gounod's Faust

Mark S. Doss, Bass-Baritone

Mark S. Doss writes:

Greetings from Dorset, UK!

 

Dear Friends,
  I am writing you from the Dorset Opera Festival in the United Kingdom where, on July 26th, we will open Gounod's Faust, and I will be reprising the role of Méphistophélès. Some of you will remember I last did this role in Oviedo, Spain and Santa Fe, NM.  Both casts included fantastic singers in the title role (Stefan Pop and Byran Hymel respectively). Click here for some clips, including tenor Byran Hymel and conductor Frédéric Chaslin talking about what it takes to perform this wonderfully demonic role! Singing the character in Boito's interpretation of the Faustian story with Oper Frankfurt resulted in this recording.

The season is shaping up to be a full and exciting one with many big projects and demanding roles to prepare. My travels this year return me to The Royal Opera House at Covent Garden, where, under the baton of internationally acclaimed conductor Daniel Oren, I will again sing Alfio in Mascagni’s Cavalleria rusticana. Also, I will perform with Welsh National Opera as Scarpia in Tosca, the Wyoming and Bozeman Symphonies in concerts of songs and arias, and finally a recital series in the NY area with the Drozdoff Society. Additionally, I am preparing the role of Wotan from Wagner's Die Walküre, and it's been a pleasure to do so with the help of the highly efficient Adi Braun, who is the German diction coach at the Canadian Opera Company. Avid Wagner fans, you will be hearing clips from this process on SoundCloud shortly!

No comments: